Wednesday, April 22, 2020

“Go Johnny Go!”

“If you can dance, you can have any girl in the room.” That’s one of those magical sayings a good Southern Mother tells her sons, beginning at a young age.  My father told me that it sure proved to be true when he was young, so being a good Southern Momma, I passed it on to my boys. It worked for both generations.

What I wouldn’t give for one more night of laughter with my boys two-stepping and twirling across the kitchen floor. With George Strait’s voice booming across the airways. Those are some great memories!

The South was, and in many parts, still is a patriarchal culture. However, my Grandmothers were the “stealthy” backbones of their families. Make no mistake, they were shrewd and wise in their own ways. A quiet force my Grandfather’s had to reckon with when all was quiet, and no one else was around. So when my father’s mother wanted him to take dance lessons, the farm went on “hold” for that to happen.

“He (or she) can cut a rug,” is an old saying in the South that describes a person who can really dance. All eyes were on my Daddy when he “Cut a Rug,” Jitterbugging to “Johnny B Goode,” by non-other than Chuck Berry. It was priceless to see.

Grandmother was so proud of the way Daddy could dance that she had him practice with her “old lady girlfriends.” The ladies loved it and Daddy called them the “Old Sisters.” Secretly, I really think he enjoyed it too. Each time he would tell me the story, he would laugh and laugh. 

A not so subtle hint to all you guys out there: Ladies of all ages love to dance!

Dancing is a beautiful way to have some good ole down-home fun! It’s also an excellent exercise that’s good for your heart and circulation. The physical body is designed to breathe deeply and to move. Dancing meets all these needs.

Flow, or constant natural movement, is one secret to happiness and makes life worth living. Music and movement from yoga to hip hop can help release pent up emotions that could be compromising your health. Rock and Roll to the Texas two-step, at the very least, will create a better mood. 

With free time on the books, music is coming into awareness to speak to the soul. What song or music is bubbling up from inside you? During this unprecedented time in global history, what pleasant experience is music bringing to mind?

The joy of music and song will play a more significant role in my life than before this lockdown. I want to share with you the lyrics of Lee Ann Womack’s chart-topping song. She captures the essence of taking another chance in life. To believe in yourself enough to try one more time.

When you get the opportunity to step up your game, and you will, I hope you dance.

I did...

“I Hope you Dance”

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed
 
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you’ll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance


I hope you dance
I hope you dance


I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin’ might mean takin’ chances, but they’re worth takin’
Lovin’ might be a mistake, but it’s worth makin’
 
Don’t let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin’ out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance


I hope you dance (Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along)
I hope you dance


I hope you dance (Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder)
I hope you dance (Where those years have gone?)


I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you’ll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance


Dance



It is never too much, and it is never too late. 

How about it? 

Let’s dance!

Rock and Roll,

Jinger

No comments:

Post a Comment